• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ah Mad Lad

Ah Mad Lad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:55 PM

Are the keys supposed to look like this? I think that they were miscut.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Kristic

Kristic

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 02:29 PM

where did you order them from? They look to be very miscut

#3 Ah Mad Lad

Ah Mad Lad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:24 PM

I ordered them from here. I guess maybe they were made with the old machine which he said was breaking down.

So they are miscut right?

#4 Kristic

Kristic

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:53 PM

I ordered them from here. I guess maybe they were made with the old machine which he said was breaking down.

So they are miscut right?

I'm not 100% sure, since I dont have those keys, but yes, they look abnormal

#5 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 03:10 AM

After working a long, dreadful 12 hour night shift i've really got to get some sleep. Normally I'm not on the swing shift so it makes it that much harder.

To quickly put it, these keys are not miscut.
I'll post some pictures in a few hours (10?) as to what you are probably thinking the keys should look like.
Briefly, here's why:
The key has been cut with an accurate code cutting machine (really, it's not faulty).
The tip may appear to be a bit smaller\cut off than others. If you lay it next to (on top of?) another Yale key the peaks line up, there is just a bit more room on the tip... to the first peak, that really shouldn't matter.

That was just a quick explanation of what's going on and why I think you may be saying it's a miss cut.

Like I said in our e-mail I'll see if we can get the digi camera fired up and take some clear pictures. Unlike you, we don't have a quality digital scanner at our disposal - the pictures you posted look great! : 8)

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#6 Ah Mad Lad

Ah Mad Lad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 03:51 AM

After working a long, dreadful 12 hour night shift i've really got to get some sleep. Normally I'm not on the swing shift so it makes it that much harder.

To quickly put it, these keys are not miscut.
I'll post some pictures in a few hours (10?) as to what you are probably thinking the keys should look like.
Briefly, here's why:
The key has been cut with an accurate code cutting machine (really, it's not faulty).
The tip may appear to be a bit smaller\cut off than others. If you lay it next to (on top of?) another Yale key the peaks line up, there is just a bit more room on the tip... to the first peak, that really shouldn't matter.

That was just a quick explanation of what's going on and why I think you may be saying it's a miss cut.

Like I said in our e-mail I'll see if we can get the digi camera fired up and take some clear pictures. Unlike you, we don't have a quality digital scanner at our disposal - the pictures you posted look great! : 8)

Thanks, I was getting really worried that they weren't cut right, but you obviously know more about it than I do so I'll take your word for it.

Those are from a 100 dollar digital camera, not from high quality scanner. I took Photography for two years and know a few ways to take good pics, these are actually poor in my opinion.

If you want to get better pictures then lighting is important. For this type of picture you need to see the details of the key so you can't have shadows, so one source lighting is out of the question, you need natural sun light or flood light to remove shadows and then you need to contrast the object to show details, so I put a white piece of paper behind it.

And then in order to get proportional and accurate photos you have to photograph parallel to the paper.

Hope that helps.
And thanks for putting my key insecurities to rest.